Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tales from the top shelf: Bushmills 16 Year Old Malt

All good things must come to an end.  Tonight, I'm laying an old friend down to rest.  My trusty bottle of Bushmill's 16 is now empty.  I remember when I bought it and Mrs. Rye saw the receipt.  A lesson was learned that day.  Don't let your wife see how much you spend on top shelf liquor.  Good times.

Web stuff:  The distinctive Irish Malt whiskey is aged for 16 years in a combination of Oloroso Sherry and Bourbon-seasoned casks, then matured for several months in Port Wine Barrel - a unique maturation which imparts distinct notes of juicy fruits, nuts and spices, as well as a hint of ruby redness.

Nose: Big, robust.  Treacle toffee and sweet spice.
Palate:  Praline, honey, full bodied.  Caramelized fruits, toasted nuts.
Finish:  Deep.  Jammed berries and dark chocolate.

Pretend to be a connoisseur and review this whiskey:  The finish is very spicy.  I get a hint of 12 Molar Ammonia, almost pass out, brace myself and enjoy the sweetness.  There is a lot of toasted barley and assorted flavors from the various barrels.  I really do get a momentary ammonia moment, but it's actually quite pleasant and interesting.
 
Cost: Approximately $70-80

Grade: B+
Cost Adjusted Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment