Thursday, January 7, 2010

Samuel Smith's Organic Ale

Or, how to survive yet another sickeningly sweet beer.

Web stuff:

History: Samuel Smith's Organic Ale is reminiscent of the early 20th century brews not only in the brewing process and flavor, but label design as well. Certified organic by the USDA-accredited UK Soils Association.

Taste: A delicately flavored golden ale in which subtle fruity esters from the Samuel Smith yeast strain interact with a background of maltiness and fresh hops.

How it really tastes:  It's malt with a background of malt.  Another bottle of barley syrup.

How does one survive such a taste bud travesty?  I have to say that at first taste, I felt nothing but despair.  The flavor was way too sweet and I didn't think that I'd be able to finish the pounder.  Then I remembered my experience with the Indian beer Flying Horse.  Spicy food is the key to surviving a sweet beer.  I overwhelms the sweetness, and if the food is spicy enough, you'll need to drink your beer rapidly.

Cost: $3.99 for an 18.7 oz "Victorian Pint"
Grade: C
Cost Adjusted Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment