Saturday, February 20, 2010

Big Problem

I'm trying to talk myself off the ledge.  I just found out that there is a global shortage of Angostura bitters, the final and vital ingredient to a manhattan.

How did I come across this nugget?  We're going out for my neighbor's birthday tonight and I wanted to throw a nice gift together.  I got him a cocktail book, and one of those big 50's shaker/pitcher at a local antique (junk) shop.  I figured that I'd get some small bottles of vermouth, some bitters, things that not everyone has at home, and that would be a pretty nice gift.  I'm at the liquor store and I tell them that I can't believe that they don't have any angostura.

"Good luck finding that anywhere honey".

Apparently there has been a dispute with their bottle manufacturer, but the shortage should be over soon.

She told me to use Peychaud's instead.

Fuck Peychaud's.

Angostura tastes like rootbeer and cloves.  Peychaud's tastes like watered down Robitussin.

Let's hope that they get their act together down in Trinidad and Tobago.  I only have 1/3 of a bottle left.

One more note, as I was showing Mrs. Rye his present, she says. "You know that his roommate is in AA don't you."  Info that would have been valuable 3 hours ago.  Of course, I'm wondering how I missed out on the angostura plant shutting down in November.  Feeling out of the loop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment