Monday, December 21, 2009

Unibroue Trois Pistoles

Web stuff:  Brewed with four selected malts and four exotic spices, Trois Pistoles beckons with a subtle sweetness that makes it surprisingly smooth and satisfying for a beer of such strength and complexity. Its cocoa and fruit notes make it an ideal dessert companion to semi-sweet and dark artisan chocolates.

Trois Pistoles (Three Coins) is named after a small village in the region of Les Basques in Québec.  Founded over 300 years ago, Trois Pistoles gave birth to several legends, including one about a sailor who dropped his tumbler overboard and exclaimed, "Trois Pistoles!" in reference to its worth in old Spanish currency.

Another, the Legend of the Black Horse, involved a local bishop who conjured up a good devil (appearing in the form of bridled black steed) to haul large brick stones to construct a new church. When someone accidentally removed the bridle, the black horse suddenly vanished just as the last remaining stone was to be set. This stone is still missing, as can be seen when visiting the village church in Trois Pistoles.

Enjoy this beer as an after-dinner drink or you can bundle it with a gift box of dark chocolate truffles or semi-sweet chocolate bars.  Winner of 6 Gold and 1 Silver Medals from the Beverage Testing Institute since 1998.

How does it taste?  After first sip, Gross.  I don't like Belgian style beers.  (I know that this beer is from Quebec),   It's the yeast.

After the second sip, it's still gross.  In the early days of the blog, I used to have a topic called rapid fire fridays.  There is a store in our neighborhood that has wine and beer tastings every weekend.  During a few of these fridays, I noticed that I actually liked belgian style beers if I was drinking it after I had tried a bad red wine.  I've tried drinking a small glass of good red wine (I don't buy bad reds), and it had not helped. 

After the third sip.  It's ok, but it's probably because I'm getting buzzed.  I reason that it's got to be the tannin in the wine that makes the beer work for me.  So I grab Sauza Anejo Tequila, which is very tannic.  Sip half a shot and try again.  I almost can't taste the yeast.  Let's try another sip of tequila.  I swish it around like mouth wash.  I sip the beer and it still tastes bad.  What to try next...

Hey, look at the post time.

Update!  Serveral minutes after the original post.  I am now tasting a nice deep prune flavor.  I can also feel my eyebrows grow and no longer need glasses.

Cost:  Mix and Match 6 pack. It was a gift, I would not intentionally buy this.
Grade: D

No comments:

Post a Comment