Monday, November 23, 2009

Tales from the top shelf: The Macallan Fine Oak 15 Years Old



I've stated before that I'm not the biggest fan of Scotch.  For me, The Macallan Fine Oak the exception to the rule and I am a little bit sad that I am killing the last ounce from the bottle tonight.

Label Stuff:  Our unfeltering obsession with selecting the finest casks and distilling sublime spirit brings an unsurpassed, timeless quality to The Macallen.  Distilled at The Macallan distillery in Speyside, Scotland, this legendary Singal Malt is carefully matured for a minimum of fifteen years.  The unique combination of Bourbon and Sherry oak casks produces a particularly smooth, delicate and light whisky.

The barrel is one of the interesting components of whisky making.  In the US, a bourbon barrel is only used once.  Scotch and Irish whiskeys often reuse bourbon, sherry, port and other repurposed barrels to add depth.  By the way, when talking about Scotch.  I will switch from "whisky" to whiskey" at random intervals.

How does it taste?  There is a hint of bourbon to be found here.  You can still tell that it is scotch, the peat is there but it's subtle.  It leaves a nice warm sweet flavor on your palate.  There is a hint of vanilla and orange.

I've pulled out an old tasting sheet from a Macallan tasting that I went to a few years ago.  Let's see if I agree with their description.

Color: Rich Straw.  Sure.
Nose: Full aroma with hings of rose and cinnamon.  Full aroma of alcohol.
Palate.  Intense rich chocolate, with hings of orange and raisins.  No chocolate.  It's a light tasting whisky.
Finish: Lingering with chocolate, hints of orange and dried fruit.  Like I said.  No chocolate.

Cost: $88.95 online.  It's gone up since I bought it.
Grade: B+
Cost Adjusted Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment