Friday, November 6, 2009

The Session #33: Framing Beer




This month's session is being hosted by I'll have a beer.  The idea behind this topic is that one rarely blind tastes a beer.  The label affects your opinion.  The breweries reputation affects your opinion.  It was suggested that we pick a beer that we think that we won't like.  I picked New Holland's Charkoota Rye Smoked Doppelbock Lager.



What role does the label or brewery play in your opinion:  For me, it mostly gets my attention.  More often than not, a craft beer has some type of clever name.  Charkoota is a play on charcuterie, which is the branch of cooking devoted to making sausage, bacon, patees, etc.  That degree in french is finally starting to pay off.  The bottle has a flying pig painted on it.  Normally, I would run away from this beer.  I wish that I had.

Frame this beer:  Don't.  Dont buy it.  Don't pour it.  Don't smell it.  Don't drink it.  Don't ever mention this abomination to me again.

Imagine what other people would enjoy about this beer:  I'm not clever enough to do this.  I found several reviews on the web and it's a love or loathe beer, mostly loathe.  I like to try unusual food and drink, but this is just god awful; one of the most disgusting beers that I have ever drank.  If you are the type who likes bad ideas.  It's for you.

Label stuff:  Charkoota Rye is a Smoked Rye Dopplebock. An homage to all things Pig, including Porkapalooza and the age-old tradition of Charcuterie, Charkoota Rye's malty backbone is derived from a blend of rye and four other malts, including malted barley smoked over cherry wood by our very own brewers, John and Jeff.

Its smoke-forward body is balanced with tones of deep mollasses and caramel, with a crisp, clean lager finish. Delightful by itself, Charkoota is best served with its succulent counterpart, Pork
 
You can see that they are trying to frame it towards folks who think "Pork Fat Rules!".

Grade: F  It's a salty glass of liquid smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment