Wednesday, October 17, 2012

5 Parts New Ryes: Pritchard's Tennessee Rye

It has been a while since I posted a whiskey review.  My cold/bronchitis is starting to wane, and I have 5 new Rye's sitting on the bar dying for a review.

Pritchard's Rye has been available in Ohio for a few months.  I managed to get a sneak peek taste of it and hated it.  For some reason, I bought it last month because I wanted something new (little did I know, the mother load was coming in September/October).  I have been tasting and tasting this Rye at home and have hated it every time.  Until today when I sit down to do a review.  Odd.

For the record.  Pritchard's Double Barreled bourbon is really good and I'm shocked to see that I have not reviewed it.  My cousin David pretty much lives on it.  The only thing that I don't like is the price at $60+.  For the whiskey nerds/snobs out there, I don't care if it is sourced.  Their website states that this Rye is distilled it in their copper still, so maybe they made it, maybe they didn't.

I have been hating it because it doesn't taste like a Rye whiskey.  There is nothing rough about it and I find it to be sweet, but not Canadian Rye sweet.  It's dominated by fruit flavors, orange peel and quince, with a light oak finish.  It kind of reminds me of a cognac.  It makes a horrific Manhattan.

If you want something different and are willing to shill out $50, then go for it.  I can't say that I'll be buying another bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment