Friday, May 21, 2010

Ron Zacapa Solera Gran Reserva 23


This will start off similar to my review of Po Traminer Di Poli Grappa.  Much like grappa, I don't like rum.  In general, I find it too sweet, and there's just something about the flavor that I don't like.  I saw this one in the store today, and for whatever reason, I was drawn to it.  I think that it has to do with it being a solera spirit.  Solera is an odd way of aging and blending spirits that is described well here.

It's aged at high altitudes in Guatemala and according to their web site, it's the cognac of rums.  I feel is an appropriate comparison. They use bourbon, wine and sherry barrels to help add to the complexity.  It's got herb, leather,orange zest, dried fruit, nuts, and some oak.

Cost: $40
Grade: A
Cost Adjusted Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment