Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve15

Today is national bourbon day, for me, any day that ends in a "y" is a bourbon day.  It does give me an excuse to break out a one of the better bourbons.

I was at my weekly Friday wine/beer tasting a few months ago when the liquor guy told me he had something special stashed away for me.  I asked what and he told me "Pappy 15."  For some dumb reason I actually asked how much, which came to the reply of "Does it matter?"  No it didn't, but for the record it was around $70, which was quite the deal in my opinion.

This is reportedly the first 100% Buffalo Trace produced Van Winkle.  It was previously produced by Stitzel-Weller.  This bad boy is 107 proof.  It has a lot of the usual adjectives, wood, cinnamon, maple, dark fruit. vanilla, spice.  I like it when it's slightly diluted.  It's more bold than my bottle of Pappy 23, which I still prefer.  Damn good stuff.  If you ever have the chance to grab a Van Winkle product.  Pounce on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment