Sunday, August 21, 2011

Square One Botanical

This is part 2 of the ingredients for my improved Aviation.  I could list the botanicals, but why bother when they provide such a perfect picture.

It has enough complexity to qualify it as gin-like, instead of vodka, even though it has no juniper.  I think that the pear, rose, and lavender dominate. 

I've had a hard time trying to figure out what to do with this.  Most of the recipes on their website substitute Square One for gin in some classic recipes.  It has enough of a "wince factor" to make me not want to drink it straight or on the rocks.  This is caused because it is a rye based spirit, which obviously gets a thumbs up here, but rye is not to be trifled with lightly, and they could mix something else in the mash to soften the flavor.

I still recommend it.  Hell, I found a great use for it... which I will be sharing later.




1 comment:

  1. I love this stuff, though I can't get it in Ohio.

    I haven't tried it in an Aviation, but I like it in Pegus, and I have managed some pretty good Cosmopolitan With Character variants as well.

    ReplyDelete