Friday, April 30, 2010

Cinnamon Infused Rye

Several years ago I read an article in the New York Times about how they were reviving the tradition of making rye whiskey at Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington.  In the article, it mentioned that Washington made cinnamon extracts with his rye, and I had to try it.

What Washington probably didn't do was throw it in a jar and completely forget about it for a few years.  I broke it out tonight, and boy oh boy is this dangerous.  It tastes like pure cinnamon.  Kind of like Firewater without the heat.  It pours an interesting ruby color and turns cloudy when ice is added.  I made a Manhattan with it, replacing the Angostura with Fee's Orange Bitters.  I'm going to have to do this again on a larger scale (I only had a few shots in a tiny jar), and not forget about it this time.  You should give this one a try yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment