Saturday, May 26, 2012

Aperol

Aperol is the sweet Amaro.  Not that there really is such a thing.  For those who are not familiar with Amaro's, they are a class of Italian liqueurs that have the following in common.

  1. They are made from a secret family recipe.
  2. The secret family recipe contains many botanicals.
  3. It is bitter.
Aperol tastes like orange, sugar, and ouch.

I mixed up Jacopo Falleni's Jashimi cocktail for the image.  It contains equal parts Aperol, St Germaine, and Grapefruit Juice.  These ingredients really enhance what Aperol is all about.  The St Germaine brings out the sweet and herbaceous qualities while the grapefruit juice adds to the dry tartness of it all.  It is relatively low in alcohol so I think I'll have another or more likely five anothers.

OK.  I actually used the last of my St Germaine in the drink for the picture.  In 15 minutes since I posted I have swapped it out for the following:

  • Heering Cherry Liqueur: Oddly enough, it gives the drink a raisin flavor.
  • Laird's Apple Brandy.  Whoa.  Now that ain't half bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment