Tuesday, August 10, 2010

New Amsterdam Gin Revisited

The glorious day has finally arrived.  All of my not-so-hard work has paid off.  I have received a sample for review.

Free hooch.  Whoo-hoo!
I've reviewed New Amsterdam Gin before, and the original post can be found here.  I find it to be more of a cocktail gin.  It's more aromatic than the London Dry style that you are probably used to with the juniper flavor being more in the background.  Subsequently, I don't feel that it stands up well to tonic.  It does mix well with sweeter flavors. 

I gave a bottle to a friend for a gift last Christmas, and she didn't get to enjoy it because her sister pretty much sucked down the bottle.  I think that's a fine endorsement.

They have some pretty interesting cocktail ideas on their website.  I decided to throw my own recipe into the game; playing along with the New York theme.

The Mulberry Street Cooler  

  • 1/2 ounce basil syrup (boil equal parts sugar, water, and basil leaves until the sugar dissolves.  Refrigerate and enjoy)
  • 1 1/2 ounce of New Amsterdam Gin.
  • Add lots of ice and top with Lemon Soda.  I used Fever Tree Bitter Lemon

  

1 comment:

  1. Very good recipe. I don't actually like New Amsterdam gin very much but it works great in conjunction with the basil (which I love) and lemon.

    ReplyDelete